Sunday, April 27, 2014

Foxy the Bunny


Yesterday, Saturday, I was doing something slightly vain.  I was trying on a new swim suit, which did not fit by the way.  FYI target juniors sizing is not at all equivalent or even near the women's sizing and I am a woman, not a junior.  Anyways, I happened to take a quick look through the egress window and noticed something moving in the leaves.  I walked over to take a closer look and it was a BABY BUNNY!!!!! Cottontail to be exact.  I have always enjoyed bunnies.  There are soft and even cuddly.  They are friendly and personable and can be litter trained.
We have gone to "Hoppy Hour" at the humane society several times to watch them play with each other.  Andy likes bunnies too.
This one gnawed on his shorts and it was funny!  

We have had previous experience with small, wild bunnies.  A few years back we found one because Abby was playing with it (she was not trying to kill it).
I was ready to keep it.  How can you NOT feel that way?  They are so precious!
We didn't know what to do so we brought the bunny back to where Abby found it and left it there.  This is not at all what you should do.  This one was a little larger and very mobile but probably still needed it's mother.  Well.... sadly, a few days later and really early in the morning we heard noise coming outside our window.  Andy got up and ran outside to chase a fox away.  He saw that it had taken with it, a baby bunny. :(  RIP little bun bun.  

This time, I was CONVINCED I would do RIGHT by this baby.  I call the The Wildlife Rehabilitation Center of Minnesota after we rescued it from the egress window. The said to locate the nest.  No big deal, I can try that.  Come to find the nest is RIGHT next to the egress window!!  Wildlife FAIL.  Why is this mother bunny doing this to me!  The instructions were as follows: dig a nest close to the old nest and use mama's nesting material to bury the bunny (as they do).  Mama bunny comes twice a day at dusk and dawn to place a big threaded X over the nest where the bunny is.  If the X is moved, mama came back.  If not, mama did not.  Check to see if baby is still there.

Bad nesting spot mother bunny.
New nesting spot complete with buried baby.

Immediately in the morning I run out to check and mama has not come back.  It had rained all night but the nesting material kept little Foxy (named in memory of baby bun bun) dry and warm! I refuse to give this one up to the foxes. So, we rush baby Foxy  over to The Wildlife Rehab Center.


And off baby Foxy is to veterinarian care AND bottles of bunny milk.

It was sad to leave the little bugger because my gosh aren't they cute!  I involved Evan in the entire process though and even applied to volunteer there.  Who wouldn't want to bottle feed baby animals right?!  We hopefully saved little Foxy's life and now we know that a small fence around the sides of the egress window is necessary since mama bunny had a major lapse in nesting judgement!











1 comment:

  1. Yay for saving baby bunnies! I saved a baby squirrel once, and it was cathartic considering the fact that a baby bird once died in my care. I felt like saving that squirrel somehow released me from the guilt of losing "Cutie Pie." =)

    ReplyDelete