Tuesday, November 1, 2011

First Trimester: The Good, the Bad and the Funny!

Well, I have now gone public with my pregnancy. I'm due 05/14/12 and things have been quit entertaining and new thus far!




Getting Pregnant:


I'm not going to make up some story and pretend I'm perfect. I'm impatient actually... So... After a few months a trying and have 0 success I went out and bought myself a few "Can I Get Pregnant Dipsticks." I was quit elated when they said "Yes Katie, your body works" Little did I know what I was getting myself in to. I figured after the first month of using dipsticks I could just blame Andy! Not so much..... Several weeks later I noticed something in life that was missing and on "LABOR DAY" found that indeed not only was something missing but something was changing. That was the first pregnancy test followed by 3 more.... Just to be sure... So that was that! Now what.... Now we call the doctor friend who says come down to the office for an early ultrasound.




6 Weeks... So Katie says:


I knew the exact day this whole thing went down. The fellow working the machine was skeptical but I thought... we'll see about that!!! So we did an ultrasound and sure enough there was the little heart beat thumping away at 122 bmp! COOL! Then he says "lets check to see if there are more." WHAT! I about fell out of the chair. But no... no more than one for me! Thank the Lord for me because I know nothing about kids as it is! Our doctor friend had also said to expect to start feeling sick. I hadn't felt sick yet so I thought, I'm SO golden on this one!




Never Safe from Morning Sickness:


Of course approximately 3 days later I feel like I could just DIE at any moment. I can't vomit but I'm not 100%. It's a cruel in between and it lasts ALL DAY for me! I'd go to work, chew on saltines, go home, eat and then in bed by 7pm. I thought for sure I'd die and then for sure that I'd never want to go through it again. In the midst of this if you were to ask how many kids I'd like to have the answer would be ONE and ONE dog that I don't have to give birth to! So the term Morning Sickness is a bunch of shit. I did get a little lucky in that the actual sick feeling only lasted 2 weeks.




Shrek's Wife:


I thought to myself, this is so GRAND. I'm going to start glowing like most women do. Oh no.... wrong again Katie! The zits started popping up and they haven't stopped since. In fact, I still feel like a disgusting ogre! But none of my friends had this issue or I don't remember them having it... why me! So unfair.... But, I keep telling myself that I have a healthy baby in there so there's nothing to complain about. Even though I could pass for Shrek's wife...




Emotions and baby Elephants:


I tend to laugh more than cry so feeling on the verge of tears on a frequent basis was nothing I was looking forward to. Ever. Well... I could tell things were getting worse but my Best Buy trip was when I knew that I've crossed the emotional threshold of insanity. I stared at 30 TV's all showing the same thing. The worlds cutest baby elephant. I about died right there. But then something occurred to me... Why would they be showing an adorable baby elephant laying down? This was going to end in disaster and I KNEW it!! The tears started welling up and I looked at Andy and said "If something happens to that baby elephant, I'm going to start bawling and I don't CARE who see's it!" We immediately left to divert a tears disaster.


Food. Friend or Foe?

I knew about Morning Sickness but I didn't really understand how other foods affected you while you are pregnant. Once I didn't feel sick anymore I thought to myself "WONDERFUL! Back to normal!" Boy was that another facade. First you have to obey all these rules which REALLY suck when all you want is SHRIMP ALL THE TIME! Luckily the OB gives you a handy fish chart but still..... I made meatloaf one evening from grass fed beef and a recipe I knew would be good. I got two bites away from finishing it and it all tried to make it's way back OUT!! I was very upset at the loss as I couldn't even touch it after that. I call it the sneak attack because for all you know, everything is going well! No problems and then BAM, the gag reflex hit's like a truck!

Sleep, never enough!

One thing that I knew but again wasn't entirely prepared for is the desperate need to sleep! For several weeks I was in bed by 7pm, teeth unbrushed and face unwashed because I had 0 energy to handle the task (which didn't particularly help with zits...). Even as I round out the 1st trimester, I'd rather be in bed then typing on my desktop. Sometimes I'd get half way through a meal and almost fall asleep. It is as if my body can't decide if it wants food or sleep. Both very desirable things to have but no decision can be made as to which is better. Sort of like sleep/eat purgatory.

Conclusion:
First trimester down, basement is coming along, i'm staying healthy, fish tank will be gone very soon and most importantly, baby is healthy too!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Katie, you are hilarious! I love hearing your story in print even though you've told me all this in person! Hang in there, you are growing a wonderful baby! I can't wait to meet him/her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love your blog!!! Very entertaining if I do say so myself! :) Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete